Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Canning Day!

My friend, Jen and I did a little canning yesterday. She's the same one that made applesauce with me a couple of weeks ago (after we picked them). No, we did not can pumpkin, but we did puree it (we? she did all the puree-ing, I just stood there holding Tara). We packed most of the puree into freezer bags. I used about 2 pounds to make Maple Pumpkin Butter .



Before...
...after. Actually, this is only 9 pumpkins. I couldn't fit more than that in the pan I was using.

She made cherry pie filling from some frozen cherries I bought about 2 weeks ago from a cherry farm in Ogden. She also canned some apple pie filling for herself (I froze some Monday).

It was a fun day until her keys got locked in her car. I didn't mind, but I think she was flustered.

2 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

You're downright frugal. Looks yummy! I'm impressed.

US said...

It's not so much "frugal" but things taste so much better when you start fresh (or close to it). It's fun to boot. I love this homemaking stuff. I am surprised that it is so common here. The large LDS population is part of the reason that everyone gardens and cans.