Sunday, August 01, 2010

Sunday Dinner – August 1, 2010

…or zucchini frittata by a novice.

WARNING: There are a lot of pictures in this post!

Well, Sunday dinner at our house is not the feast you see on TV or other people’s kitchens.  We eat leftovers for lunch and breakfast for dinner.  By breakfast, I sometimes mean eggs.  So, we often have quiche, but with our abundance of zucchini already I wanted to try something different.

I went out to the garden and picked some of the ingredients, onions and basil, but some free-loading zucchini hitched a ride into the kitchen even though there were several in there already.  I used some that I picked yesterday.

 039

The players: zucchini, 8 eggs, onions (the recipe called for green, so I used red and chopped some of the stem also), and cheddar cheese.

Okay, I lied, the recipe was for a corn frittata but I was out of corn so I replaced it with zucchini, it also called for chopped roma tomatoes, but mine are not roma, nor are they ripe so I skipped them (they would have been lovely).

046

Basil being snipped into the eggs (that was tedious so I did the chiffonade thing with the larger leaves).

I also decided to play around with the camera and tripod.  I set it on top of a bucket of peanut butter (that’s right a bucket) and used the timer feature.  You can see the lid of the bucket-o-peanut butter in the pictures, but I wanted to keep it real (and I was too lazy to crop too excited to share this recipe with you).

047

Mix the basil into the eggs.

048

These are onions that bloomed so they were a little tough, but sautéed up just fine.  I only sliced 2 of them, 3 would have been better.

 050

Chopping the zucchini!

 053

Starting the onions in my favorite cast iron skillet.

 057 

Adding the zucchini.

060

Because my man likes meat, I also cooked some sausage for him.  Mama, how did you make the patties so round? Don’t tell me, I hate to touch raw meat!

062

My favorite spatula (Cephalon) for the eggs.  I don’t think there were enough eggs, 10 would be better for this recipe, but when Brendan is with us, I will have to double it for sure.

064

I didn’t do so well on the stove-top part, almost burned the eggs.

065

Time to flip the sausage.  I used to always forget which sausage I put in first until I read a tip from Cooks Illustrated.  Start at the handle and work clock-wise (or counter clock-wise, suit yourself).  Now, I always remember.

067

Under the broiler!

072 

Melty cheese.

070

Happy cook!  I am wearing one of my favorite aprons!

071

Reviews: Ryann said, “yum”.  Kyla said, “it’s like quiche without the crust” I am sure she liked it, she had seconds.  Tara was not happy about the almost burned parts.  Steve liked it.  Caitlyn ate it, but would not comment.

086 080 079 081 082

Oh, I liked it too.

If  you want an actual recipe, e-mail and I figure it out and send it to you.  I adapted it from a recipe out of the BH&G cookbook.

2 comments:

Janice Barie said...

Love it! I am gonna have to make some for my fam. I love the pot holder you have on your handle. Did you make that? I need something like that for my cast iron skillet!

US said...

Thank, Janice. I did not make the pot holder thingy. I bought it where I buy my cast iron. I have seen them in lots of places, wherever they sell cast iron.