Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Goal Setting, at MY Age?

I am almost 48 and I have NEVER made goals. I've had ideas, made plans, achieved goals, but I have never sat down, wrote out and worked on goals. Guess what I'm working on?

I know, I haven't blogged in about 6 years. We've moved a couple more times, finally buying a house. My older children have become adults. I now have a grandson. Now, you are caught up (ha ha!).

Anywho, I've gotten tired of just "flying by the seat of my pants". I sounds exciting, it isn't. It's messy, exhausting and very, VERY frustrating. It's not like my life is total chaos, and I don't miss appointments, I'm rarely late, but it's the internal. I am tired a lot. I'm overweight. I rarely complete everything in a day that I had hoped I would.

I have come to understand that I need these things called goal setting and time management. They go hand in hand. In my mind at least, I can't have one without the other. I have a goal of getting better, dare I say mastering time management, but if I don't at least start implementing some time management principles, I won't accomplish this or any other goal. Make sense? (please say "yes")

So, as any person in this decade would do, I began to google.

Last year, I came across Mystie Winkler's Simplified Organization and began learning about principles from a book called Getting Things Done by David Allen. It all made sense to me, but I had a hang up: Mystie looks very young, I know she's older than she looks because of the ages of her children, but she is much younger than I am. While I liked what she said, I didn't seriously implement anything.

A few months ago, I began walking and attempting to lose weight seriously (17 pounds gone and counting) but I didn't write it down (still haven't) and seriously schedule it into my day. Also, getting up early before it gets too hot is hit or miss. I know I need to get to bed earlier, but I needed to make some changes.

I bought a planner, one of those cheerful ones (I'm not going to tell you which one because I haven't used it and don't know if I'm going to like it). Then, I bought a bunch of stickers for said planner (I LOVE STICKERS!!!) I watched YouTube videos on setting up my planner and learned about so many different types of planning, BUT I got hung up on how young the presenters were (this is a thing I am working on). I bought traveler's notebooks for bullet journaling/planning. While I know that I can put in all my appointments and birthdays, I wasn't sure what else to put in my planner. The planner girls kept talking about the "top 3" but I had to learn more.

Then, I found Robin Sampson's Time with God Challenge. In it she talked about (fanfare please) Time Management. In the lesson, she mentioned a few books, one is Master Your Time Master Your Life by Brian Tracy which I bought. Amazon suggested I buy David Allen's book too, so I did. I've read a full chapter of Master Your Time so, I'm not going to share what I learned. 

So, I started looking for more. I found some YouTubers like Amy Landino from AmyTV who lead me to others like Mel Robbins and Gretchen Rubin. I watched a lot of TED Talks. These have all inspired me, but...I have a hang up again. They aren't overtly women of faith, at least it's not their focus, if they do indeed have a faith (they may, they just don't mention it at all).

I searched "goal setting for christian women" and found a few, but they have courses and books I would have to pay for and I've already spent too much. I'm interested in what they have to say, but I'll have to wait.  I will update, if this blogging thing sticks...this time.

Why did I just tell you all of this? I think I wanted to share my experience as I go through it. Maybe you are in the same boat. I have felt pretty lonely in this so far, so I'm spreading my net. Join me if you like. Give me some advice if you've got it (be kind). Pray for me.

No comments: