Friday, March 19, 2010

My Life as a Wannabe Techno-Geek

If you know me, you know that I like gadgets.  Kitchen gadgets (ahem…tools), garden gadgets, crafty gadgets…you get the picture.  Anything that will help me in my daily life, I want it! My friend, Jen laughs at all my stuff, says I have too much stuff.  She has not convinced me yet.

Another weakness for me is technology.  However, the latest and greatest of this stuff is cost-prohibitive.  I am content not to upgrade often, truly I am. 

BUT….I just got a new phone. It is not an iPhone®, but it’s pretty cool.   It is the Samsung Omnia II.  I had never heard of it, but Steve and I did the research and this seemed like the best fit.

Here’s what I like about it so far:

  • it’s really pretty, the graphics are amazing and the colors are so bright, it is almost a luxury to look at.
  • so far it is pretty easy to use.  I did have to play around with it and I still have a lot to learn, but I do not feel like I need a college degree to operate it (my son might have learned faster, but he’d better keep his grubby hands off ).
  • swyping!  it is so much more fun than typing.  If you are interested google it.  I am having trouble with IE right now.
  • the apps.  The ones that came with the phone are pretty cool.  I am impressed with the dice app today.  You actually shake the phone and the dice roll.  (Hey, it doesn’t take much to amuse me).

There are a few things that I don’t like:

  • redundant icons, there are several buttons in different places for just the calendar app.
  • the screen locks after only a few seconds of inactivity. 

I thought I would list some of my other favorite “tools”, so you can see just how far gone I really am (or not).

  • Sony Portable Reader System – I can have a library in my purse! 
  • Sansa Fuze mp3 player – this is now Brendan’s but I only gave it up because I got the new phone which has mp3 and video apps.

I will have to write a separate post to talk about all my kitchen tools.

I think I should end by explaining that I know this is all just stuff that moths and rust will destroy.  My hope is in the Lord and I will be content in any situation He puts me in.

No comments: