Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mini Hands Make Work…Fun!

I have heard people say that little ones can/should help with housework, that they could even have their own chores.  What!?  That’s crazy!  Hello…they’re little.  How can my toddler help me?  Nothing will get done properly….yada yada.

Caitlyn's First Birthday 003

Turns out, it’s not about them and their ability.  It’s all about me and my attitude.

So, I read this article on The Homeschool Classroom and I had to stop and think.  The first thing that appealed to me was that it gave me fuel to get rid of some of the oversized toys we have taking up precious space in our library/schoolroom.  More importantly,  I was convicted that they deserve the experience and memories, more of me.

That night, I said, “Okay, who wants to help Mommy make dinner?”  “I do! I do!” echoed throughout the house.  Inside, I was nervous and uncertain as to whether dinner would be edible or if I would lose my temper and insist on take-out.

You know what?  It wasn’t so bad.  It was nachos, nothing fancy, just fun. Yes, fun for me as well.  The best part? They had a blast and felt so big because they really helped make dinner. 

The older kids and I have some makeup work to do in the kitchen.  While we did do stuff in the kitchen together, I had to play the martyr and suffer through the messes and imperfections. 

tpm granola

Now, I am learning to let go and accept that it may get messy and not be Martha Stewart-like.  I can now enjoy them helping me in the kitchen, knowing that they are gaining something that perfect meals could never give them – memories. 

Turns out they are awesome laundry sorters, dusters and sweepers.   They can fold washcloths, socks  and dish towels, AND put them away (sort of).  My house won’t grace the pages of House Beautiful  but I will be content with happy children and that is far better!

My husband keeps telling me what a great mom I am for this, but I know that this is how God meant it to be and nothing could be better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen. Nothing better. The things you think are not important are the memories they will talk about after they leave home. Even boys can do housework. They may not do it like you want now, but will know how to clean when they get their own place. Aunt Juanita

Susan Silver Dill said...

How awesome! I know Seth loves helping me in the kitchen... Micah too. They will all have fabulous memories of cooking and cleaning with mom. AND...bonus...they seem to EAT more of what they helped cook themselves! Whoohoo!

Melissa said...

I start teaching mine how to do chores when they are young and eager and it helps to give them a good attitude about serving God and their family. When they are young they WANT to help out because they are doing the same "important and grownup" things that mommy and daddy are doing. When they finish their task they are so proud and happy of their accomplishment - it builds their self esteem and gives them an I-can-do-it attitude, but it also gives them a servant's heart. I love it!