Saturday, January 13, 2007

Cooking Day!!

Today was/is cooking day! The kids went to Winterfest with my parents. Steve and I stayed home to do some freezer cooking. We roasted 2 turkeys last night, and have been chopping and cooking all day.

Steve being very careful & exact!!

My new stock pot, 24 quarts!!

Kyla is GRATE! (waa-waa-waaaaa). Oh, the face paint is from WinterFest. We put the kids to work when they came home.

So far, we made:
-Sticky Chicky Drumsticks (1 meal)
-BBQ Drumsticks (1 meal)
-Chili Maple Dump Chicken Breasts (1 meal)
-Garlic Dijon Dump Chicken Breast (1 meal)
-Turkey & Broccoli (4 meals)

-Turkey Spaghetti (6 meals)

-Beef Stew (2 meals)

Kathy's Turkey Spaghetti

1.5 cups butter
1.5 cups flour
1.5 quarts turkey broth
1.5 quarts milk
salt & pepper to taste
48 oz spaghetti
3 lbs cooked turkey (I'm guessing here, didn't actually measure)
30 oz rotel (diced tomatoes & green chilies)
24 oz mushrooms, sliced
3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
*Melt butter, stir in flour, bring to boil, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and broth, salt & pepper to taste. Bring to a near boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
*Cook noodles according to package instructions for al dente (unless you plan to freeze, then undercook).
*Stir noodles, chopped turkey, rotel & mushrooms into sauce. Divide into pans and top with cheese. This is where you can freeze or proceed.
*Thaw (if frozen).
*Bake @ 350°F for 30 minutes, until bubbling or cheese browns.
*Servings: 36

I love chicken spaghetti, but really wanted to avoid velveeta, so I had to come up with this on my own. We had this for dinner and everyone loved it. Next time, I will try to have salad with it.
We have also washed the dishes several times, ran a load of dishtowels/clothes through the washer. My back and neck are aching, but it was sooo worth it! AND...I only had to send my wonderful husband to the store twice!

We plan to make 6 meatloaves, hamburger patties, & taco meat.

4 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Way to GO! It's such a great feeling to get meals in the freezer! I need to do that one of these days soon.

Your turkey spaghetti sounds good.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

HOW STRANGE! I just noted your weather pixie. 73* and we've got freezing rain and 32* - I'm not sure I'll ever fully understand how the weather works around here. ::snort::

Your ticker is edging oh so close to the right side.....I'm sure you're all getting excited.

US said...

It is strange! I've been watching the weather and the cold line is creeping closer. The kids think we should take a "cold" day tomorrow. HA!

It is getting close, I am very excited!

Emily said...

It must feel good to have all those meals ready! I have actually never tried the make ahead freezer meals . . . I do need to try it!