Tuesday, March 13, 2007

To answer a question...

I did not choose to have a c-section. I do not like them and wonder at women who actually desire surgery over natural birth. I admit to being terrified of natural birth when I was pregnant with my first, but did not think a c-section was an option.

We did not plan to have a c-section, my son was somewhat large and did not comply with the delivery staff - he turned breech while I was in labor. I did not know very much and trusted the doctors to make the best decisions, therefore thought that a c-section was best. He and I came through just fine.

Child #2, Kyla, was expected to be an uneventful VBAC (v*gin*l birth after cesarean). Things did not go as planned again. The doctor, fearing I had ruptured, insisted on a c-section right then (her dad missed the first 5 minutes of her life). Again, all turned out well.

When Steve and I found out that #3 was on the way, we just accepted that c-section was the only way. I was not thrilled with my lack of options, but wanted what was best for baby and me.

After this birth, I learned about homebirths and birthing centers and longed to go back and try to do things more naturally. My doctor did not think I should attempt a VBAC at all when I found I was pregnant once again.

I spent much time in prayer asking God to keep me from fearing the surgery. He was/is faithful. I got the advice of other godly women and was able to stay mostly calm during it all. Again, baby and I are well, my recovery is going slowly, but it is going.

I hope that I will be able to go through it all again, if it is God's will for my family to have more children.

Thank you for asking, Anonymous. It is a perfectly logical question.

1 comment:

Emily said...

What sweet pictures! It reminds me of pictures I have with Alexia and Sierra.