Thursday, March 01, 2007

Morgan's 1 - Squirrel 0!

We have a bird feeder out back and love to watch the birds gather and feed. There are usually sparrows & doves (eating what the sparrows drop). For the past couple of days, a cardinal has been visiting, I love to watch him. Last year a blue jay came often, they had a nest in the oak out front.

Anyhow, we have a squirrel who likes to partake of the birdie buffet. He is not welcome, he's too greedy and the birds won't eat until/if he leaves. We send the dog out (but the birds don't like her either), we open the door to scare him off, but nothing really works for long. Then, I remembered that the squirrel repellent in the store was mostly cayenne pepper. So, I took a jar of the red stuff out and shook it all over the bird feeder, especially where the food comes out.

We waited and watched. He was back in just a few minutes. He ate some seed off the ground, then climbed the pole to the feeder and started to eat. He jumped off and ran away! He won't be back for a while, but I'll be sure to keep the cayenne handy.

The birds came back, but they've gone again. I hope they'll be back soon.

2 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Ah Ha - a solutuion. We have one of these critters who likes to eat all the bird seed too. Will the Cayenne hurt the birds? Guess not.

US said...

The birds have been back. It's not supposed to hurt them. The squirrel has been back too. Next time, I will add the cayenne in with the seed.